Monday, December 16, 2013

Not so Merry and Bright

Yesterday I attended the Life Celebration of one of Ellie's best friends - Annie.  Ellie and Annie were good friends for several reasons.  Really, I think they were destined to be friends because God had them together so much!  Annie and Ellie Kate were in the same class at school for a while.  They also spent many times in the hospital together, including most of fall of 2012.  We took them on walks together around the hospital and on little adventures to the End Zone here at Children's.  Ellie loved Annie, and she always reached out for her.  It was a precious thing to see as her mother.  My daughter had a friend!  And, I have no doubt that Ellie was there to welcome Annie to Heaven last Sunday.  How much fun they must be having running and dancing in their new bodies together!





I was struck by many things yesterday, one being the fact that so many precious doctors and nurses were there to support Annie's family.  All of those same doctors and nurses have cared for Ellie too, and many of them also attended Ellie Kate's service.  I am blown away by the love these professionals have for their patients.  I am forever grateful for tender hearts.  We are blessed to have medical teams who really want what is best for our daughters.  I'm thankful for the reckless love they showed by coming to Annie's service.

Today, a sweet baby named Gabriella Faith was born.  Today, Gabriella Faith also went to be with Jesus.  This little girl's parents knew ahead of time that their daughter would be born without a skull, and that she would not live long.  Still, they chose to carry Gabriella Faith until God was ready to call her home.  And tonight, along with our beloved friend and photographer Holly Hall, we took pictures of this sweet girl.  They will be memories and keepsakes that her family can forever hold on to.  Holly is loving recklessly through her "Ellie's Legacy", which does hospice pictures for special children in honor of Ellie Kate.  And many are loving Gabriella's family recklessly through this terribly difficult time.

As I was texting back and forth concerning baby Gabriella today, I found myself humming "Silent Night".  And then I was hit with how unfair this life is.  So much loss.  So much grieving.  Not just those who have lost little ones or are dealing with a special-needs child, although that is where our heart surely is.  I'm thinking of many people who have lost loved ones, those who have terrible diagnoses, those who feel all alone and abandoned for various reasons.  My heart truly bleeds for those who are hurting, and I long to make the world understand that we MUST rise up and love one another in word and in deed.  I long to to make the world understand HOW to love well, as I am learning that not everyone knows just how to love, or are afraid of doing it (no guilt, that is just how God has made us - all different with different giftings!).

Please friends, during this time of hustle and bustle and Merry Cheer, do not forget the lowly.  Do not forget the hurting.  Take a moment from your Christmas wrapping and decorating, from planning that big meal; take a break from putting lights up on your house, and go and love and serve and do.  Love in word AND in deed.  It's really not that hard.  I've shared with you a few ways to do just that, and I know the Lord can show you INFINITELY more than I can!  I'm asking Him to open all of our hearts to the world around us.  

Thank you for keeping us in your prayers as we are still in the hospital.  Thank you for praying specifically for Annie's family and for Gabriella Faith's family as they face the sting of death.  We love you all dearly.

Because of HIS Reckless Love,
Ryan

2 comments:

  1. Sweet Ellie Kate. She was so amazing in how she made friends I remember her trying her best to get close to one of conners frienda. She would make her way right over to him. She was so so amazing. I feel so blessed being a part of her

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart and prayers go out to all of you. Our little ones are all in yhere new bodies playinng having a grand time

    ReplyDelete

50k Try