Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Fired Up and Acting On It

Tonight, I'm calling you to action - 
on behalf of special needs people and their loved ones . . .  

I admit to being a sensitive person, and sometimes words cut me to the core.  I'm also fiercely loyal, and if I feel that someone I love is being hurt, well . . . you better watch out!  Since God has birthed in me a heart for those with special needs, I am extremely protective of those who seem to be different than me physically or mentally (really, aren't we ALL a little different from each other?).  That brings me to tonight and why I need your help.

This evening, I had a few minutes by myself so I sat in bed and turned on the TV.  So many depressing things are on now days (how old do I sound?).  I flipped to the Lifetime Network and saw a show, "Kim of Queens".  Now, I have a very brief history with pageants, so this sparked my eye.  Kim seemed super funny and outgoing.  I found myself bursting out in laughter several times.  The girl is funny, ya'll.  


And then it happened . . . 

Kim was talking to her mom and sister, and called them "special needs".  Then she mockingly used her hands, acting like she was using sign language (it obviously wasn't).  I was shocked that this woman just said and did these things, and that Lifetime put it on the air!  I turned back to the show sometime later caught the very end, where once again Kim called her sister "special needs" in a derogatory manner.  WHAT?! REALLY?  DID THAT JUST HAPPEN?!  


Here's the thing . . . 

What if Kim had used other slurs to describe her mom and sister?  What if she had made other hand gestures, rather than impersonating someone who is deaf?  Well, we wouldn't see it because they wouldn't air it, and they shouldn't have aired this either.  

Miss Kim should not have been allowed to use those slurs on television.  She shouldn't be allowed to say or do those things on TV.  These things shouldn't have been aired nor should they be tolerated, just as slurs about race or sexual orientation should never be used, condoned or promoted

It infuriates me to see people so casually use slurs such as "retarted", which essentially is what Miss Kim was doing.  I have TWO BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTERS who are considered "mentally retarted".  Yep, it's on their medical records.  They are "special needs" Miss Kim, and I LOVE THEM just the way they are.  You bet your bottom-dollar that I get fired up when someone uses hateful language such as this.  And making mocking gestures as if you are using sign language? Miss Kim is a grown woman, a professional woman, and she should know betterLifetime, YOU should know better than to allow something like this to air.  


Bottom Line . . . 

DO NOT use these words, people. DO NOT mock those who are different than you.  It is cruel. It is heartless. When you use these words in a hateful way, you are telling the special-needs world that they are not important; that they are "less than" what you are, which is certainly NOT the case. We are ALL created equal, and we are ALL fearfully and wonderfully made.  


What to do . . . 

Contact the Lifetime/AE Networks and let them know that this type of language isn't going to be tolerated.  Let them know that it is NOT okay to mock or call people names.  They may not have thought that the Special Needs Community would stand up, but they are wrong.  We will speak for those who cannot speak for themselves.  We will fight for those who cannot fight.  




  • Twitter:  #kimofqueens and/or @lifetimetv and tweet your message or forward this blog post



I give my permission for you to share this blog post as you see fit.  

I encourage you to please be respectful and polite - the opposite of what was shown on "Kim of Queens". Let's ask them to take action and prevent Kim from using these slurs in future episodes.  Let's also let them know that the Special Needs Community is strong, and we won't let people abuse or hurt those we love.  

And just so I make my true heart known - I am not revengeful.  I truly want to stand up and show the world that these things cannot be tolerated.  I want the world to know that Special Needs people of ALL kinds MATTER.  I understand that Kim may not be aware that these are hurtful things to say and do.  She may not have thought about how those words and actions would hurt others. I know I've done that far too many times in my life as well.  No judgement here.  Just a special-needs momma calling for action, for peace, for love in word and in deed - especially (and certainly not to be limited to) those who cannot speak for themselves.  


Fired Up and Acting On It, 

Ryan




1 comment:

50k Try