Sunday, September 14, 2014

Man of Sorrows

Sometimes I feel as though I am "Debbie Downer" when I post.  You know, the lovable (sarcasm) SNL character who always brought the room down with her depressing lines?  Ya'll, I certainly do NOT want to be a Debbie Downer, not in any way, shape or form.  And I want to fiercely apologize if I come across that way.

The woman in this photo is NOT Ryan McLaughlin

The truth is, we have lots of wonderful times as a family!  We have SO many blessings - food, a home, vehicles, medical insurance, a job, etc, etc, etc.  We have SO much to be grateful for, and everyday I really and truly have a grateful heart.  I have seen God's goodness and I know His heart is tender towards us.  In fact, this week has included an OU game, birthday parties, Community Group, sleepovers with grandparents, and a date night!  This Blog is my journal though, and sometimes you write your deepest, most heart-felt thoughts down in your journal, and those thoughts and feelings aren't always pretty; actually, they rarely are because they are raw.  Truth is raw and real and messy, so that's what you often see here in my words. For that, I will not apologize.

A few weeks ago I was thinking about all of those hurting, those who have experienced loss and grief.  My heart is often so very heavy for others.  One of my spiritual gifts is Mercy, so I long to connect with people and let them know that they aren't alone.  Sometimes though, this can get you in a place where you are mostly, if not entirely, surrounded by hard stuff.  Remember that truth is raw and messy, right?  Same with life.  Real life and struggles can be most disheartening for those going through dark times and for those who are around them, trying to love them through it, becoming emotionally attached and involved.  Let's be real.  Life is messy for ALL of us. 

Mercy- "kindness or help given to people who are in a very bad or desperate situation" - Merriam Webster


But here's the thing . . . Jesus had a heart of mercy too.  He created mercy after all, and He places it in our hearts for others because He wants us to be His hands and His feet.  And did you know that Jesus was called "The Man of Sorrows"?  He was so wrapped up in the hurt of others; He was so heavy-hearted for those around Him who were hurting, that He literally was called "The Man of Sorrows".  

Isaiah 53:2-4, "For He grew up before Him like a tender shoot, And like a root out of parched ground; He has no stately form or majesty That we should look upon Him, Nor appearance that we should be attracted to Him. 3He was despised and forsaken of men, A man of sorrows and acquainted with grief; And like one from whom men hide their face He was despised, and we did not esteem Him. 4Surely our griefs He Himself bore, And our sorrows He carried; Yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, Smitten of God, and afflicted.…"

I am not claiming to be Jesus, Friends (Oh, I am SO far from that, you don't even know!), but I do know this:  when we give our lives and our hearts to Jesus Christ, He makes us tender towards others.  He allows us to mourn with those who mourn and weep with those who weep.  He calls us to do that as Believers - that's how He wants it to be!  And that means that sometimes, we are sorrowful and may seem surrounded by sorrow.  But don't let that dishearten you - it is a quality of Christ and one that we are called to! 

During these times when I see so many hurting and struggling, Scripture breathes life into my Spirit as I remember that Jesus promises to be with us.  Jesus promises that He has overcome the world, and THAT is something we can all rejoice in!  

John 16:33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

No matter what I'm facing, what my friend is facing, or what I am facing with/for/alongside of my friend, God has overcome and WILL be glorified.  

May you find peace in these truths tonight - 

Ryan 



No comments:

Post a Comment

50k Try