Saturday, September 6, 2014

All About Henry

This week has been a rough one, I'm not gonna lie.  If you follow us on Facebook, you know that this is true - our hearts have been hurting with more friends who are going through trials and heartaches (more about that in my next post).  My IC flare has intensified with a UTI that won't clear up, and Henry put us through quite the scare! But, this post is really all bout Our Henry Mac . . . 

I've been so concerned for Henry as he started first grade, his first time to go all-day to school.  With everything he has dealt with this summer, including diagnoses and introducing meds, my heart has been even more tender towards our Sweet Boy.

Henry lost his first tooth a week ago!

Henry's been complaining of a tummy ache and a sore neck for almost two weeks.  I had our nurses look at his throat and it wasn't even red.  He didn't have any other symptoms, and although I did believe him, I thought it was all due to going back to school - getting used to carrying his backpack, getting into a new routine, reading at a desk, etc.

The boys were out of school on Tuesday and he slept in until 9:30am.  We had a full weekend with friends and family activities, so I thought he was just tired.  He woke up and ate a few bites of breakfast and went back to bed until about 4pm.  I kept checking in on Henry and he didn't have a fever, but I knew something was up.  I thought he may be coming down with something, so of course I was looking up symptoms online.  When I finally got Henry to wake up, he was confused and wasn't making much sense.  He was extremely lethargic and said his entire body hurt.  He wouldn't even stand up for me, so I knew he was pretty sick.  It was so close to 5pm that I decided to wait a few minutes and take Henry to a pediatric urgent care right at 5pm.

This new pediatric urgent care close by us is run by some precious doctors from OU Childrens.  These are girls (um, doctors) whom we have seen grow up in the program and it is SO exciting to see them go out on their own like this!  Needless to say, we were thrilled when we walked in and saw one of our very favorites, Dr. P and of course she got Henry right in.  Dr. P had cared for Ellie Kate and Lucy.  She knew who we were, and I had no doubt that God went before us because I was a nervous wreck.

Henry couldn't stand up for his weight check and was very wobbly.  He still was extremely sleepy and out of it.  During some of his neuro checks his little eyes rolled back into his head.  I'm not going to lie, I screamed out to God internally at that moment, "Oh God, do NOT do this to another one of my children!".  It looked so seizure-like and I panicked.  His behavior was worrisome and Dr. P knew we needed to head to the OU ER. She called the attending there to let them know we were on our way and what to expect.  And off we went!

OU Children's ER is usually pretty busy.  We waited a while and finally got back, Henry still lethargic and asleep.  We had a new attending - one we had never met before, and it was NOT the same one that Dr. P had talked to before we arrived.  Shift change happened during our wait and thus we had an attending who didn't know us, didn't know our history with the girls (which has never happened in that ER), and who honestly didn't seem to want to be working that night.

Henry's bloodwork came back normal and so did his urine (which I had to ask to be done).  They did an ultrasound on his belly and found some intestinal issues that apparently are not uncommon, and the kind he has was supposedly supposed to correct itself.

Sparing the details, I packed Henry up and took him to the car while Mike wrapped things up in the ER.  Don't mess with a momma-bear who has any background whatsoever in special-needs or in working with doctors and nurses.  Our expectations are unapolagetically high, and we WILL hold you to a higher standard, a standard you pledged to when you became a doctor.  We left without many answers but SO many of you contacted us with texts, emails and messages.  We know you were praying for us; faithful are the prayers of the Saints!!!

Henry has continued to get better each day, although his neck still hurts a bit.  He had a clean bill of health from the doctor yesterday.  She thinks it could have been a bad virus, and I agree.  He definitely was scary-sick, but now he is better!  Henry in particular misses Ellie Kate so much, and this week he even dressed like her while he was home sick.  I'm not sure what to do with that or how to parent that.  His friends Jazzy and Rye brought him some balloons to cheer him up and he let two of those balloons "go to Ellie Kate" by letting them loose outside.  His little heart hurts.

Would you continue to pray for Henry's health?  Would you pray that the Lord would lead Mike and I as we seek wisdom in parenting Henry?  I'm also conflicted about Henry's schooling, although we do like his school and LOVE his teacher.  I just want to do what's best for him and his tender heart.

Daddy and Henry on our "Henry Date" last night

LUCY . . . 
So this update isn't ALL about Henry:).  Lucy is doing SO well and we were able to get her helmet this week thanks to some generous friends!  God ALWAYS provides, and we've been blown away by your thoughtfulness and willingness to bless us.  We have other things we are going to be able to soon order for Lucy and we have been able to pay some of her bills, which is WONDERFUL (I just cannot tell you what a good feeling it is to NOT get a phone call about a bill because it's been paid for!!).  So, thank you.  Thank you for giving and for supporting us through the "GoFundMe" page.  It's so humbling. With all of my heart, thank you.  

She loves it, I promise!  More pics to follow!  

1 comment:

  1. So thankful that Henry is doing better. Its hard enough to have a child sick then to get to the hospital and be treated by someone that really doesn't want to be there is not a good thing. Thankfully God is in control of all things. Hugs to the boys and Lucy Belle. (and you and Michael also:)

    ReplyDelete

50k Try