Saturday, June 21, 2014

The Big Girl Bed

We are home!  It looks like Lucy had a tummy bug, and we gratefully avoided the big ones such as C-diff and Rotavirus (yippeeee!!!).  Every little bug hits her so very hard.  What could be something quick and easy for a typical kid can put Miss Lucy Belle in the hospital for several days.  This is so true for many special-needs kiddos.  Conner too is feeling better, and is back to his old self.  Whew!

This hospital stay confirmed what we already knew in our heads . . . Lucy has outgrown her crib and nap-nanny.  How can it be?!  In December, Lucy was still wearing size 18 month clothes.  Now, Lucy is wearing 4t's!!  What a growth-spurt our Girl has grown through!  We knew giving up the crib was the best thing for her, but it has been tough.  You see, Lucy has now graduated up to Ellie Kate's handicap-accessible bed.

That sweet bed is the best one in the house!  It has a great, fancy, fluffy mattress that is so cozy.  Me, Mike, Mindy, and both of my parents have slept in it at one time or another with Ellie Kate.  And now it's Lucy's turn.  No more babies in my house - sigh.  

We worked hard yesterday setting up the bed (Mindy and I took the beds apart all by ourselves - whoot!), and then it was time to make the bed and get it ready for the night.  I froze.  I saw the sheets, and I couldn't pick one out (Lucy just uses fitted sheets).  Each sheet has a memory.  My Ellie Kate laid on those sheets.  She cried on those sheets.  She slept in that bed and found so much comfort in it.  Ellie Kate preferred her bed to many things.  That Girl just LOVED her bed and loved playing in it with her babies.  She wanted to be in it all the time, and would even crawl to it to let us know that she wanted in it.

Ellie's First Night In Her Big Bed 

Little Ellie Kate All Cozied Up

And now, Lucy loves this bed. She's been crying each time we take her out of it today!  It's so sweet and  . . . well, it's just very bittersweet.  Lucy has grown so much and looks so much like Ellie Kate.  Her mannerisms mimic those of her big sister (which is so from the Lord).  It's a blessing to have another curly-haired little girl in this precious bed, but it hurts my heart a little bit too.  You can lay there and close your eyes, taking in Lucy's noises and movements, and you feel like you are with Ellie Kate again.  Thank you, Lord for sweet reminders.  

 Lucy and Henry 

 It's Just So Comfy!

Lucy Loves Her Bed!!


You may remember me mentioning that the cemetery messed up on Ellie's original headstone.  Very strange, I know, but I wanted it to be perfect.  I wanted it to represent My Princess well.  So, they ordered a new one and recently placed it.  They were going to throw the other one away, and the thought of that just tore me apart!  So, Mike and Preston (Nurse Mindy's husband) went to pick up the headstone yesterday.  Ya'll it weighs about 450lbs.  Seriously.  These men worked so hard to get it and bring it home.  And then, Preston was kind enough to take it to get cut.  Four thick inches of granite.  He had it cut to look nice and neat and perfect just for us.  And now, it's home and next to the tree we planted in honor of Ellie Kate.  We planted it right outside Mike and I's window, and it's beautiful.  I'm so thankful that Jesus causes ALL things to work together for our good.



Thank you for your prayers for Lucy, for Conner and for me (I'm still dealing with some kidney/bladder issues).  We just love ya'll so very much and consider each of you as part of our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

50k Try