Saturday, June 28, 2014

My Sweet Little Henry

Henry Is SIX (almost)!!

Tomorrow is Henry's sixth birthday!  Henry is My Promised Child - the only one that God told me that I was going to have!  Not all of you know Henry's story, so I thought I would share it with you in honor of his special day . . .

In 2012, Mike and I felt like the Lord was telling us to have another baby.  This was a crazy thing, seeing that we then knew that each of our pregnancies had a one in four chance of having NKH.  But, God really and truly laid it on our hearts to try for another baby.  I longed to experience the typical newborn experience just one more time.  God gave me Isaiah 43:18-19.  That same day, my Mother called me with those very same verses that God had given her for me.  That evening I received a phone call from one of my best friends.  Guess what God had laid on her heart to encourage me with?  Yep, it was Isaiah 43:18-19. Confirmation was all around us, and God gave us a perfect peace.

Isaiah 43:18-19, "Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old.  Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?  I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert."  

This passage told me that God was going to do a good, new and exciting thing in our lives.  He was going to do something that seemed impossible - making rivers in the desert, something only God could do and something only He could get the glory for!  And before we even tried, we were pregnant!

We did CVS testing with Henry, as we wanted to know as early as possible if he had NKH.  We wanted to have a plan in place, although I felt in my heart that I would have a healthy baby boy.  I was ecstatic to receive the phone call that morning, telling me that this little man was only a carrier with the same DNA mutation as his daddy.  I cried and I danced in our living room while Conner and Ellie Kate were asleep.  I danced before the Lord with joy!  I excitedly called Mike and he let out a huge sigh of relief.  What a precious, priceless gift.

In our family, it turns out that Mike has named the boys and I have named the girls.  Of course, we each have agreed and liked the names that were chosen.  Mike had been reading about Henri Nouwen - an amazing man of God who was a priest, a pastor, a writer, a professor, and among many other things, an aid to a special-needs individual.  Nouwen said that his best and most fulfilling work was done in caring for this young man.  Henri Nouwen actually devoted his life to this man, and lived with him, caring for his every need and pouring into his life while teaching him the love of Jesus.  What an incredible picture of Christ and of what Christianity is all about (or should be all about)!  So, we decided on Henry, which means "Ruler of the Home".  For those who know Henry, you know that his name fits him well!  I knew that this little boy's middle name just had to be Isaiah, as a constant reminder of God's promise and confirmation on his life.  Isaiah means, "YAWEH is Salvation".

Henry was born at 36 weeks on a Sunday evening.  I had invited my Mom, Jayme (Mike's momma) and my sister into the delivery room.  I just knew that one day, I would want to see my grandchildren born (if my daughters-in-law will allow me), and Mike and I really thought that this would be the last chance to invite our family in for this occasion.We had the room at the end of the hall - the biggest delivery room in the hospital.  It had beautiful large windows, and the sky lit up with fireworks.  The Fourth of July is my favorite holiday, so I felt like it was a treat from the Lord to see those firework shows out that window as I was laboring and delivering Henry.  It made me so happy and I felt so loved by the Lord.

Henry weighed in at over 7lbs, which is pretty good for being early!   He smiled at me, honest to goodness! We have a photo of it somewhere.  This little man smiled at his momma on the day he was born - eyes open, staring right at me, with a beaming face. Ever since then, there has been no stopping Henry . . . 






  • Henry loves animals.  He always has - every kind of animal, no matter what size or shape.  
  • Henry likes to eat.  He has always been a good eater and nursed until he was 27 months old!  He loves fruit and candy (he likes the sweet stuff!).
  • Henry loves sports!  His first word was "ball".  On his first bday I gave him a bag of balls, and he loved it.  He gets his hands on a ball any chance he can get.
  • Henry is very athletic.  This kid has had an arm on him since he was six months old.  He excels at each sport he tries, and he works hard at all that he does.
  • Henry loves Conner.  He has always looked up to Conner and continually compliments him.  
  • Henry loves Ellie Kate.  Henry and Ellie didn't get along well while she was on earth.  She liked to wrestle too much and pull and bite at Henry (loving on him in her own way).  But, he talks about Ellie Kate constantly and draws pictures of her each day.  He talks about going to heaven to see EK.
  • Henry loves Lucy.  He pats her head and strokes her hair when she's upset.  He gets in her bed and plays with her.  He helps me when I feed and change Lucy too.
  • Henry loves his family.  He is a hugger and he loves fiercely! Henry often says, "You are the best mom in the whole world".  He says this about his daddy, brother, sisters, dogs, and grandparents!
  • Henry is a giver.  I truly believe his spiritual gift is the gift of GIVING!  He gets so much joy out of giving to others.  Even today, he gave two of his birthday presents away to friends! 
  • Henry loves music.  He has a great voice and loves to sing - particularly praise and worship songs. 
  • Henry has no fear.  From trying new foods, to going to new places, Henry is all for it.  He even jumped off of the high-dive recently at the pool with some friends!  When he first saw the ocean, he ran right in.  He likes to jump off the top of the car and off of the roof of our home (these two things are NOT condoned by us, by the way).  The world is an exciting adventure to Henry!







My Sweet Henry.  He is such a true, perfect, promised gift.  The first literal gift that God clearly told me He would give me!  Through Henry, God has given me more faith and has stretched me in ways I could never have imagined.  I parent better because of Henry.  I give better because of Henry.  I love better because of Henry, and I'm inspired by his reckless-abandon towards life!

Jesus, thank you for Henry.  Thank you for giving me the promise of this Little Man.  Thank you for letting me live to see that promise fulfilled.  What a joy it is to parent and love Henry.  Thank you for choosing me to be Henry Isaiah's Momma!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

50k Try