Monday, May 19, 2014

May 20th - The Day The World Changed

Tomorrow is May 20th; it's the one year anniversary of the tragic EF5 tornado that stole so much from so many here in our town of Moore, Oklahoma.  Over 4,000 homes were severely damaged or completely destroyed.  Think about that - 4,000 households dealing with significant loss.  The tornado was on the ground for a long 39 minutes.  377 were injured.  24 precious people lost their lives.  It was a day that changed the lives of everyone in our town.  Literally, our surroundings - our World, had changed.

The tornado was close to us.  I saw it from our front porch and was sure it was going to hit.  I was shocked that it turned slightly South, which tornadoes rarely do.  We were safe, but so many were not.  All I remember from that night was that I kept thinking, "It could have been us".  It was a blessing that we didn't have power, so were weren't exposed to the news stories or pictures.  We didn't really know how bad it was, although we knew it was bad.  The tornado was slow, of that I was sure.  And it kept going on and on.

On May 21st, we went into action, like thousands of others did.  I think it was more for us than for anyone else, to be quite honest.  It was a few days away from the five-month anniversary of Ellie Kate's death.  The way we ended up helping was was tough, heart-wrenching, and so very, very tragic. There were families who had lost children close to Ellie Kate's age. I knew what they were about to face as they started this terrible journey.  I knew how hard it could be, and I hated that they had to go through this as well.  When we met them, I kept thinking, "I got to say goodbye.  I knew it was coming. These families didn't have that chance".  Life was stolen from them.

There are so many things that could be said about May 20th, about the "celebrations" that are taking place on the one-year-anniversary, about the different events taking place.  But really, all I can think about are the families of those who lost someone they loved exactly one year ago tomorrow.  These are my friends.  These are people that I love.  We are part of a fraternity that no one would choose to be a part of, and yet here we are, bonded for life.

I'm very protective of my friends as they face this hard day tomorrow, and the many more to come.  I can only compare it to what I know, and that is the first anniversary of my Ellie Kate's death (I had to go out of town for that anniversary.  It was a blinding time of grief.  'How could it have been a year?!  Please God, don't let it have been a year since I've seen or touched my Daughter!').

 I think of these Dear Ones as they are constantly reminded of this tragedy over and over and over and over again through the media.  I think of them as they are hounded by press and by photographers who want the "inside scoop" of how they feel, or what they are thinking.  I wonder how they feel about these "celebrations" and events being held on the very day that their children died.  My mind wonders about how they can't escape this pain because is surrounds them in so many ways.  I wonder how it would feel to be so deeply mourning and yet not be able to get away.  I think of them as they relive those last moments, those last conversations, those last hugs.  And for these things, my heart bleeds for them.  

May 20th affected every Oklahoman - every parent, every individual, every church, every organization.  It still affects us all as our town rebuilds, as people deal with loss, as many learn to live with their fears.  But really, to me May 20th is about honoring the lives that were lost and loving and praying for their loved ones that were left behind.  

Please join me tomorrow in honoring these precious lives.  And oh, Friends, pray for their families - for the parents who long to hold their children, the son who misses his mother, for the husband who now lives without his wife.

Lord Jesus, you are The Blessed Controller of All Things, and yet we still mourn and hurt over the losses we face in this life.  We live in a fallen, broken world where unfair things happen; where bad and terrible things take place.  May these things point us to YOU, Jesus.  Oh Lord, have mercy!  We cry out for mercy on behalf of those who lost their loved ones one year ago.  Meet them where they are, Lord.  Please wrap your arms around them.  Holy Spirit, show yourself mighty.  We trust you to heal the hearts of the families.  Use us, Lord.  Be glorified even now.  

-Ryan

AP photos of the May 20th Anniversary
ESPN Story, Narrated by Kevin Durant
"Where Was God?" movie trailer
*"Where Was God?" is a beautiful story of redemption through the May 20th tornado.  It is a must-see movie that will affect you on so many levels.  "Where Was God?" is playing exclusively at the Warren Theater in Moore, OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment

50k Try