Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Our Pioneer Woman

Ellie Kate recently welcomed her Great-Grandmother Tully as she entered Heaven and left this broken world behind.  Colleen Patricia McFarland Tully passed away on her farm, just as she wanted.  She poured her heart, soul and life into that farm and the house that they built on their land, so long ago.  I can only imagine the reunion Ellie and Grammie must have had!  It brings me so much joy to think about.  

Grammie's death holds some uncertainty at this time, which hurts my heart very much.  I think everyone would agree that they want their loved ones to pass peacefully.  I always imagined Grammie meeting Jesus in her sleep, but that isn't the way her life on earth ended. But now . . . none of that matters.  She is with her Lord and Savior, Jesus.  And she has been reunited with her beloved dauther, Deidre, who passed away from cancer at the age of 22.  And My Sweet Ellie Kate . . . can you even imagine??!!  


I imagine Ellie's "welcome" smile looked something like this


I'm so grateful that we were able to spend time with my Grandmother while she was living on earth.  Mike and I would take the boys out to the farm and we would have lots of adventures there, making memories all along the way.  Each time, the boys would leave with some little trinket, rock or shell that Grammie gave them as a special treasure.  Conner and Henry went down quite often to visit Grammie with my Dad.  They love her and always looked forward to picking up a hamburger and Dr. Pepper for their Great Grandmother.  The boys truly felt safe in her home, and they absolutely love being there.  I'm glad they knew my Grandmother well.  I'm glad that Grammie knew and loved them so much, and also loved Ellie Kate and Lucy so dearly.  She would hold and hug on the girls, even when they were wiggling and kicking, as they often do/did.  They both have her green eyes.  Grammie buried her daughter as well, and she had given me a few pieces of wisdom during the times since Ellie passed, which I hold dear to my heart.


Henry and Grammie at Braum's


Summertime Fun with Grammie 
(photos by Henry)


Colleen Tully is my Grandmother, and I am proud that I'm in her bloodline - part of this large, crazy, fun, loud, opinionated, loyal, and stubborn family! She was brave, strong, heard-headed, intelligent, caring, and stubborn (did I mention that already?).  We call her the "Pioneer Woman" because she loved living out in the country, fixing her home and raising animals. I have memories of baking oatmeal raisin cookies with her and picking berries off her farm.  She would let me ride her tractor with her, and she even let me stay with her for two weeks one summer.  I had so much fun and remember her teaching me to drive, with TWO feet, back when I was only twelve.  

One of my most treasured memories is when Grammie came up to Ellie Kate's dance recital at school.  I was able to get a picture of Ellie, Grammie and Lucy - it's the only one I have of all three of them together, and it's precious to me.  That was one of Ellie Kate's best days - really, one of the happiest days of her little life, and my Grandmother was there to witness all of her smiles and was able to see her on stage.  It makes me proud.  



What a Special Day!




I truly will miss my Grandmother.  I will miss her hands, I will miss her voice.  I will miss her hugs, although I'm thankful that she is no longer confined to that precious, little frail and thin body.  I will miss getting to call her on the phone, taking her a burger and piece of pie from Hamburger King, and of course, bringing her Dr. Peppers!  I know my boys will greatly miss her too - in so many ways, as they were all so close.  

Please pray for my Dad and his siblings as they handle all of the many things that come up when a loved one passes.  There is so much to do, along with facing the loss of their mother.  They know she's alive and they know where she is, but I know they will be drained in every way possible.  I would also love prayers for our boys as this all sinks in for them.  I asked Conner tonight if he was okay and he said, "I'm okay, Momma.  I've just lost so much, you know?".  It hurts my heart, and Mike and I desperately want to parent well through this season.  


"May the God of hope fill you with all JOY and PEACE in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in PEACE." Romans 15:13



PEACE.  JOY.  HOPE.  He still reigns and I will worship.  

Ryan

1 comment:

  1. I am blessed with Tyler as an intern working with us at the University of the Incarnate Word. He is a man of faith and compassion. As I read of your grandmother, I thank God for her life of faith and love for family. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete

50k Try