Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Take Me To The Cross




Today is Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent; and while I didn't grow up necessarily celebrating Lent in a traditional way, as an adult I am now seeing the importance of this dedicated time of focus.  I think Ben Nockels puts it most beautifully here:

Overview of Lent
By Ben Nockels 

Come, let us return to the Lord, He has torn us to pieces but he will heal us; he has injured us but he will bind up our wounds.  After two days he will revive us; on the third day he will restore us, that we may live in his presence.  Let us know; let us press on to know the Lord.  As surely as the sun rises, he will appear; he will come to us like the showers, like the spring rains that water the earth.  Hosea 6:1-3

"Lent, the forty-day period of preparation for Easter, has begun.  Lent reaches its climax during Holy Week, itself a journey within a journey.  Henri Nouwen once described Lent as the season in which Winter and Spring struggle with each other for dominance.  Others refer to this season as a time of "Bright Sadness".  Lent is a time of fasting and mourning, repentance and renewal; a time of identifying with Jesus in His suffering and death in order that we might identify with Him more fully in His resurrection and life.  

It is to the vivid imagery of "Winter and Spring struggling for dominance" that I wish to return our collective gaze.  This picture gives us a glimpse and foreshadows for us what can happen within our hearts and lives over these forty sacred days.  

It's so very earthly and real-time.  You can literally bear witness to the struggle transpiring.  The struggle is all around (and in) us.  An outward expression of an internal reality.  The created universe serving as a guide to the journey toward our own new creation.  Everywhere you look, you can see the world as it is and the world as it could be.  Winter and Spring.  Old and New.  Despair and Hope.  Death and life.  A not-so-amiable team of rivals.  Neither submitting to the other.  Back and forth they go.  

The struggle for dominance lingers on.  Winter looms large.  It kicks and it screams.  It puts up one serious fight.  And just when think your'e in the clear and you'd swear this cold dead season has seen it's last days, it rears its ugly headfor one last laugh and final gasp.  Winter has become an obstinate and completely unwanted guest who has long-overstayed its welcome.  

But then all at once, out of nowhere, Mother Nature runs Old Man Winter off into the distance.  And Spring comes bursting forth, right before our very eyes, in all of its glorious splendor, to take its rightful place.  The earth awakes and shakes off her slumber.  What once lay dormant has now become vibrant.  What seems to have taken place in one single instance has long been brewing under the surface in the deepest recesses of being.  Colors pop and sounds emerge.  The symphony of life is in full roar.  It's as if the songbirds themselves are ushering in new creation with each chirp, tweet and whistle.  Trees bud and flowers bloom. A fresh aroma fills the air.  It's a full-bodied, firsthand, multi-sensory experience second to none.  Energy palpable.  Borderline intoxicating.  Movement everywhere.  Life abounding.  

The fight finished and the victor crowned.  Winter threatened to conquer, but Spring prevailed in the end.  Spring wins.  It always has.  It always will.  A that, my friends, is the very best of news."

(emphasis mine)

WOW. Oh my friends, when I read this, I instantly connected with the Truths shared so beautifully.  As I shared in my previous post, I have been taking a break from many things.  Some things won't be obvious to those around me, and some will.  Maybe at some time, Jesus will give me the freedom to share some details with you, but for now, know this - I have literally been facing this fight of Spring and Life on a personal level

 He has forced me to step aside and lay it all down, giving it all up because I am too weak to go on the way that I was.  He has done this is both the physical and spiritual, and I am grateful and scared and excited.  Winter and Spring have been fighting greatly, especially since My Ellie Kate went to be with Jesus.  Spring WILL win, and Jesus WILL conquer, showing Himself mighty to me during this Season of Lent, in particular.  He has promised me this.

So, I will celebrate Lent.  I will participate in the holiness of all that it can unveil.  I will continue to cut things out and set things aside, ignoring what isn't deemed as important to my Father at this time.  I will focus on Jesus - on His life, His death and resurrection during this Season.  And at the end, He has personally promised me that I will see a transformation.  I will see the Victory.  I don't know what it will look like, but I am SO EXCITED.

What do you think about Lent?  Are you willing to celebrate and participate in it this year?  Our church, Bridgeway Church has partnered with Frontline Church and has published a wonderful guide to Lent.  Would you do me a favor and take a look at it- Lent Guide 2014?  Here you will find devotions for each of the 40 days of Lent.  Even skimming through it will bring you closer to the Lord Jesus and the truths of Lent and of the Easter Season.  How will you celebrate?

He has broken me, but He will restore me!
Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

50k Try