Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Makenna

Well, I could sit and tell you about the boys' first day of the first and fifth grade.  I could also tell you about the wonderful support we've seen through the "NKH Ice Bucket Challenge" that we started yesterday to raise money for NKH Crusaders .  But, that's not where my heart is tonight . . .

"He does not fear bad news, nor live in dread of what may happen.  For he is settled in his mind that JEHOVAH will take care of him.  Psalm 112:7

My friend Jenni Kufahl gave this verse to me, framed.  Someone had given it to her and she did the same for me.  She told me to put my name in the verse, and I did and I have, and I will continue to do so.  I did today because sometimes it's all you can do - to capture your thoughts; to remind your self that the GOD of the Universe is aware and in charge of every detail of every circumstance of your life.  Sometimes we have to choose to settle our minds on the LORD, on our Jehovah, who will take care of him.  I thought of this very thing as I visited "Jenni's Spot" briefly while Lucy and I went to visit Ellie Kate's Spot (my mommy-heart longed to be with the earthly body of my daughter today). 

I guess I'm rambling - Mike keeps telling me that pain will make you do that, and I am in immense pain physically and my heart also hurts.  In particularly, I'm burdened for Makenna Johnson's family.  Makenna is Ellie Kate's "hopping" friend, and although Makenna and EK have very different diagnoses, they have acted very much the same.  Makenna went on hospice the same time that Jenni did, and now it looks like Jesus is calling Makenna home

Can you imagine the excitement that little girl must be feeling?  Can she hear her Father calling to her, reaching out, telling her to come Home?  Can she already get a glimpse of where she is going?  Are the saints cheering her on as she drifts in and out of consciousness?  I don't know. 

But I do know a few things:

1.  Makenna is going to spend eternity with Jesus Christ, the Father and the Holy Spirit.  Her eternity is secure.

2.  Makenna's body will soon be perfected; no more tears, no more pain, no more sickness

3.  Makenna is not fearing the bad news (or what may seem bad to those who will be left on earth); she knows where she is going!  Her angels are around her singing even now!

4.  Makenna's family is hurting as they truly walk through the Shadow of the Valley of Death - it is an impossible, treacherous, gut-wrenching, breath-taking walk that no one wants to face, and yet - God calls us to go there and to walk through it.  And He is there with Marianne and Matt and Marlee and Micah - Makenna's family.  He is with them. 

5.  Jesus will still be Lord tomorrow, and tonight and in the next moment.  Jesus will be the same loving, tender, gracious, all-knowing, all-powerful, healing God that He has always been - no matter what happens to Kenna, no matter when. 

And a few other things I know . . . the Johnsons will still trust Jesus no matter what.  And they will be loved and supported by the McLaughlins and by the Haas family, and by many more who love them. 

And I also know that there are two beautiful little girls - one with blonde hair and one with brown curly hair, who are waiting for Makenna at the gates of Heaven; they are peeking over the edge on their sweet little tip toes, wriggling with excitement that their friend is coming Home to be whole and complete!  Lily Audrey Haas and Elizabeth Kathleen McLaughlin will be jumping for joy for you when you arrive, Kenna! 

1 comment:

  1. It's so moving and faith-strengthening to see you focus your heart on God's truth in the middle of pain and loss. Your words in the final paragraph were especially beautiful -- the hope of heaven and the coming kingdom of Christ really is the anchor for our souls! Praying for you and for Makenna and her familly tonight.

    ReplyDelete

50k Try