Tuesday, August 12, 2014

An Unexpected Fight



If you had told me 25 years ago that I would be advocating for medical marijuana in the state of Oklahoma and throughout the United States, I would have told you that you were crazy.  Heck, if you had told me ten years ago that I would be advocating for this, I would have thought you were nuts!  But, that was before I had a daughter born with an intractable, terminal genetic disorder.  

NKH has changed me in many ways - it has stretched me in my faith and has rocked everything I've believed and everything I've stood for.  And, it has opened my eyes to the world of suffering right here in our own communities.  Beautiful individuals, young and old, are truly suffering from severe medical issues. Right here.  Right in front of us.  Right next door to us.  In our churches, in the grocery store, in the doctor's office.   Epilepsy happens to be one of those things, and both of my daughters were born with it.

Lucy's 8pm Meds

Epilepsy comes along with NKH, and in our girls it has caused apnea (failure to breathe), severe brain damage, significant development delays, and a host of other issues that cause pain and chaos in their little bodies. Because of her brain damage, Lucy doesn't walk, talk or crawl.  She doesn't eat by mouth. She cannot use sign-language. And although Lucy is a very happy little girl with a full life, she is currently on four anti-seizure medications (not to mention her five additional NKH meds).  FOUR, people.  The picture is just a taste of what Lucy takes at 8pm every night.  She takes similar amounts of meds at 12am, 8am, 2pm and again at 8pm.  She also has seizure rescue meds.  Lucy needs these meds to live and to keep her seizures at bay; to keep her body and muscles relaxed. But, there are other things that could possibly help Lucy and her seizures and some of her other NKH issues.  Medical marijuana is helping our friends.  Several have moved to Colorado.  Some so desperately want to help their children that they are using forms of MMJ in our state at this time.  Forms of medical marijuana could help My Daughter.  

I'm not here to ask you to advocate the legalization of all marijuana.  What I am asking you to do is to open your eyes, your heart and mind to the thought of medical marijuana with low THC (the component that makes one high) being legalized for the benefits of those who truly need it.  There are many people who can benefit from products such as Charlotte's Web , which is helping Children across the country - children with epilepsy, children with cerebral palsy, and children with many other disorders and diseases.  Take the time to click on that link and learn more about Charlotte's Web!  


Before Charlotte's Web Treatments

After Charlotte's Web Treatments

Before Charlotte's Web Treatments

After Charlotte's Web Treatments

Here's the thing: the kind of marijuana I am advocating for does NOT get a person "high".  It is low in THC.  Again, those who use it are NOT getting their children "high".  What I am advocating for is THCA which has neuroprotective agents; it has shown to be an anti-inflammatory and anti-spasmodic.  It also has it's own anti-proliferative qualities that inhibit cancer growth (as some studies have shown).



For my Oklahoma friends, I am specifically, asking you to support putting medical marijuana on the ballot here in the state of Oklahoma this November.  The ONLY way to do that is to sign a petition that is available at many locations throughout the state.  The petition MUST BE SIGNED ASAP as the signatures are due THIS FRIDAY, August 15th.  To find a place to sign the petition to put this on the ballot, go to Oklahomans for Health.

If you want more information and details, I strongly suggest taking a look at this CNN documetary.  It's a great source of information from the perspective of a medical professional:  CNN Weed 2. You can also find some incredible information from The Realm of Caring which is helping patients even now!

This plant is something natural - something that God created.  It has elements that are helping adults and even children like mine.  Please pray and consider signing the petition and advocating for this specialized treatment.  Time is running out and it's important that we put this on the ballot this November!  



No comments:

Post a Comment

50k Try