Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Oh Christmas Tree (the pink, purple, sparkly kind)!

Ellie Kate's tree is up at our house.  Isn't it beautiful?  I just know that she would love it!  It's sparkling and has pink and purple and glitter.  Ellie Kate would just hop on over to that tree and "pat pat" and pull at it.  





It has a few tiaras on it, and a few ballerinas (in honor of our 'Tiny Dancer').  It even has a few special ornaments, like one we made at her fifth birthday party and a precious one from her friend Annie. And the tree-topper is the Santa hat she wore each Christmas (with sequins, of course). And the tree skirt is one of her baby blankets (Mike's perfect idea!). I hope to add to the tree each year, with precious ornaments and memories.  As our little family decorated the tree this week, we each hung an ornament and shared a memory of Ellie Kate.  It was just so precious.  In the midst of tragedy, a new tradition has been born.  





Really and truly, I cannot believe that it's almost been a year.  She just hopped over to that new Christmas tree.  She just pulled at it and patted it for the first and last time with her weak, tired, thin little body.  She could barely see at that point, but she could tell the tree was there and that it was shining.  Ellie Kate loved shiny things here on earth, and I am just sure she is surrounded with many-a-shiny-thing in Heaven.  

It's all happening so quickly - this one year anniversary of her passing; this first birthday without her.  And the holidays coming up - ya'll, I just can't even think about those yet. I can't tell you how I will feel on those days, or how I will act.  I've never done this before.  Even in the years to come, when I have a few anniversaries under my belt, I'm guessing that I still won't know what to expect with my emotions each day.  

What I can tell you now is that I feel peace.  I feel extremely, extremely loved and supported by so many of our friends and even strangers.  My family has also helped in getting Ellie's celebration going, and I am just so grateful.  I know that I have peace because of the Lord Jesus, but I also know that He uses each and everyone of YOU to make me feel loved and supported.  I truly cannot fathom what our life would be like if it weren't for you.  

Speaking of YOU . . . ya'll are just amazing!  We have had SO many books and special-needs items pour in!  The boys and I absolutely love getting the mail each day, along with the daily deliveries from FedEx and UPS.  I'm sure I will be sad once they stop coming, bringing us gifts in honor of Ellie Kate, but for now we are thoroughly enjoying it!  




As a reminder, I'm posting the ways to give and participate here below, as well as the drop-off sites, just in case you haven't had a chance to help out just yet. I know it's such a busy time of year, and that makes your involvement in this celebration that much more special!  Thank you for giving.  Thank you for reaching out and loving us.  Thank you for asking how you can make a difference in Ellie's Honor.  
1. Donate to our book drive! All books donated will be given to chronically ill children at OU Children's Hospital during Ellie's birthday celebration on December 4th. Hit up one of our drop off boxes OR donate through our AMAZON WISH LIST, November 5th-December 4th:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/giftlist/26F5I0VH3O3FZ/ref=topnav_lists_2
DROP OFF BOXES:
Funky Monkey - 1401 North May Avenue, OKC
Bridgeway Church - 228 West Hefner Road, OKC
Chesapeake Energy - 1600 N. Western, OKC - located in Mike's office; call/text if you'd like to drop off (405-812-3589)
Uptown Kids - 5840 North Classen Blvd #3 (Classen Curve), OKC
Dr. Willoughby, DDS, -1222 S Kelly Ave, Edmond
Keller Williams Norman - 905 24th Avenue NW #A, Norman
Van's Pig Stand, Norman - 320 North Porter Ave, Norman
First Baptist Church, Moore - 301 NE 27th Street, Moore
To The Nines Boutique - 111 West Main St., Moore (Old Towne)
McBride Orthopedic Hospital - 9600 Broadway Extension, Edmond
2. December 1-31st: Start loving those around you in reckless ways! Give to those in need, purposefully reaching out to those who are hurting, including those with special needs and families who have lost children. Share on our page how you have loved others in Honor of Ellie Kate!
3. December 4th: Ellie's 8th Birthday! Join us at OU Children's Hospital as we throw a party in Ellie's honor. This is a way for us to love on special children who are stuck in the hospital during the holidays, much like Ellie Kate. We will have a birthday party, a reading/story time, and special crafts for the patients (time TBA).
4. December 19th: Share Ellie's story with someone you come in contact with. Post and let us know about your encounter, and also share your favorite Ellie Kate memory or story!
5. December 23rd: Ellie's Heaven Day! Post pictures of you and your family releasing PINK balloons in Ellie Kate's honor. Send messages with your balloons and be creative! This is a way to show our family that you remember our Sweet Girl.
FOR WAYS TO GIVE while receiving a tax write-off:
*Give to the Ellie Kate Project through Helping Hands Ministries - This is the family medical fund, and giving goes directly to Lucy Belle's medical costs.
*Give to NKH Crusaders and help us find a cure for this terrible disease which causes GI issues, epilepsy, extreme developmental delays, mental retardation, and more.
*Give to OKC Hope Link OKC Hope Link- - a ministry we help lead; Hope Link reaches families of children with rare, serious and undiagnosed disorders.

2 comments:

  1. The tree is absolutely beautiful! I really love all the ways you are honoring Ellie Kate and allowing us to go on this journey with you. Hugs. Love you friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the tree, so beautiful. EK would love it.

    ReplyDelete

50k Try