Thursday, July 30, 2015

Fixer Upper

One of our most favorite TV shows is "Fixer Upper".  It's a fun show on HGTV where a couple, Chip and Joanna Gaines, comes in and helps another couple find a "fixer upper" house.  The Gaines turn those houses into real homes - beautiful homes, GORGEOUS homes, that turn out to be more incredible than the new homeowners could have ever pictured in their minds!

Chip and Joanna Gaines

The greatest part for me is to see the homeowners as their fixed-up house is revealed.  When they left it in Chip and Joanna's hands, it wasn't very pretty.  In some episodes, the houses are literally falling apart.  You can imagine how nervous the homeowners must be as they place their faith in this couple, trusting them to transform the ugly house and make it something not only livable, but also something that represents their family's personality in a comfortable and secure way.  When the fixed home is unveiled, you can feel the excitement jumping through the screen!  Sometimes there are tears of joy and shock. Each time there are huge smiles (the ones that make your face hurt).  It makes me giddy to watch the excitement as the homeowners' dreams are unveiled and all that they've been hoping for and focusing on, is now there for them to touch and feel. 


The first time I watched Fixer Upper, I was super encouraged.  I don't know how to explain it, except for the fact that I felt the Holy Spirit in Chip and Joanna Gaines.  I told Mike about it, and that's when we started watching it together.  We have been hooked on Joanna's darling sense of style and on the hilarity that comes with the married couple's playful relationship that you see on camera. Although we don't watch every episode (we don't have DVR or anything like that), we enjoy it when we can! *Below are pics of the finished fixer uppers . . .






Check out more photos here:  Fixer Upper Photos

Last year, we stopped by the Gaines' store in Waco, Texas.  It's called "Magnolia" and it's absolutely darling.  I bought a few small things, and when I checked out, I started chatting with the girl that was helping me.  We were talking, and somehow I felt the freedom to ask if Chip and Joanna Gaines went to church anywhere (kind of strange I know, but I wanted to see if that Holy Spirit connection I felt was real).  That's when I found out they attend an incredible church that has a church plant here in Norman, Oklahoma.  Once the employee told me where they went to church, I just got so excited because I know people in this particular church and I know a little bit about it as well. I told the employee about the Holy Spirit connection I had felt, and I asked her to tell the Gaines that I am literally spiritually encouraged each time I watch Fixer-Upper.  The show is funny, clean and uplifting, but as a Believer, I also sense the couple's kindness, gentleness, sincerity, and giving spirit as they serve these families.  Sure, they are paid to do this, but when you are a Believer walking with the Lord, your profession becomes your mission, and you can clearly see that this is a mission for this family, and they pursue it as a family, wholeheartedly.  THAT is encouraging. You should watch it! 


My heart has been heavy lately, for many reasons.  Lucy's had an increase in seizures (that's part of NKH).  Henry's PANDAS has been flaring.  Many friends are deeply hurting and grieving.  I'm still longing for change in the physical AND spiritual.  As I was pondering all of these things tonight, God brought Fixer Upper to mind.  It may sound silly, but as Believers, you and I truly "Fixer Uppers".  We are all broken, some more than others, some being left and tossed aside as trash.  The transformation God brings to us physically, and most importantly, spiritually, is a beautiful thing to watch unfold.


Sometimes seeing progress takes a long time and sometimes changes are seen quickly. We place our lives and all that we have, in the hands of the Lord Jesus Christ and then He takes over.  He takes care of everything, every single, tiny detail.  He makes no mistakes.  He works ON us, and WITH us, and FOR us.   He is continually working; Jesus never stops working, even though it may feel that way.  Sometimes it feels like He isn't listening.  Sometimes it feels like He isn't moving in your life, especially in the ways you hoped or planned. Sometimes it feels like He isn't there - like He has left the job site . . . BUT, HE IS!  He never leaves or forsakes us.  He promises to complete the good work that He starts in us.  I can tell you from experience, Our God is FAITHFUL, ya'll!  One day, we will finally receive our "ultimate healing" and thus, no long be in need of fixing.  Come quickly, Lord Jesus! 


Hebrews 13:5 (ESV):
Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Philippians 1:6(ESV):

And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.


As you've read in our posts, you may know that we've talked about moving, changing schools for the boys, and making other big decisions.  We just all want change. CHANGE.  I long for it.  But, we've prayed and prayed and PRAYED and sought the Lord, and we feel like God doesn't want a big change for us right now (such as moving).  Financially, it is much better if we stay where we are for a while longer.  It wouldn't be good to move right now, but rather stay and keep that security and stability going for Henry as he faces the many changes upcoming with school.  Being able to come HOME to this house, will be good for him, and if it's good for Henry, it will be good for ALL of us!  


Michael thinks I need to write to Chip and Joanna Gaines and ask them to come up and do a different kind of "Fixer Upper" here in Oklahoma.  He wants them to come and fix up the house that we have - this precious place where we first brought Lucy home from the hospital and the place where Ellie Kate took her last breath.  Ohmygoodness, can you even imagine?  What would we do if that happened?!? I would fall on my face and thank the Father for His goodness, and then you would find me doing the happy dance for hours on end!   I mean, really - having Chip and Joanna come in and help us with the things that need fixing (major and minor), helping us map things out better in our home, and then having Joanna decorate it with her impeccable taste that I adore??!!??!  It would be just too good to be true!  Even so, I am posting about it, just by chance you know Chip and Jo and want to pass this on to them:).  Who knows, maybe the Lord would work it out for us and we could have the change we so desire AND have the ability of staying in our current home.  Honestly, I would just like to hang out and pray with and over Chip and Joanna as a couple. It's strange, but that is on my heart.  No matter what, I choose to trust the Father and the decisions He's lead us to as a family at this time.  



Father, 

Thank you for encouraging our hearts in fun ways!  Holy Spirit, thank you for encouraging us even through television!  God, thank you too for Chip and Joanna Gaines.  Thank you for their relationship with you and thank you or the creative gifts you've given to them that we get to see and enjoy (even if it's through the TV). Thank you for using their lives for your glory, and  thank you for giving their family such an exciting mission.  


Lord, thank you too for giving OUR family such an exciting mission!  Thank you for showing us to stay here in our home, even though that isn't the answer I was wanting to hear.  I know that you see and feel our need for change, and I pray that you would make that happen in some creative way. Be our leader, Jesus.  Take over our family.  It's all yours and we give it all back to you.  Use us for your glory. 


Ryan

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I love this show too! Since we have no idea where we'll end up after Jake is done with his PhD at UCLA, I always joke, "Wouldn't it be funny if you get hired by Baylor so Chip and Joanna could do a home with us!?" I just think they're so cute/sweet/darling. I think "endearing" is the real word I'm looking for. And their farmhouse. Heavenly Day, that place is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: Do you have a favorite home they've redone?

    ReplyDelete

50k Try