Friday, April 3, 2015

Miracle


"It's not just the most important miracle ever.  It's not just the most astounding event in the life of the Messiah.  It's not just an essential item in your theological outline.  It's not just the reason for the most important celebratory season of the church.  It's meant to be the window through which you view all of life." - Paul David Tripp

This week, a Dear Friend sent me this beautiful devotional from Paul David Tripp's New Morning Mercies.  Cheri McNeill just buried her husband, not even a week ago, and yet she sent me this encouraging word concerning resurrection and our forever life with Christ.  She did this because the Lord prompted her too, because He is ALIVE in her, even in death; because like her, part of my heart is already in Heaven, and she wanted to also encourage my heart this Easter week.  DEATH does NOT WIN! 

I was so breathtakingly moved by the level of wisdom Tripp used as he beautifully unfolded these Truths.  This devotional laid it out so clearly for me that I HAD to share with you.  The Body of Christ NEEDS to be reminded these things, and what better time than at Easter? I take no credit for the contents as the words are from David Tripp.  I have simply shared my heart with the words in blue.   

2 Corinthians 4:13-15, "(We know) that he who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus and bring us with you into his presence .  For it is all for your sake, so that as grace extends to more and more people it may increase thanksgiving, to the glory of God."

"What does it look like to look at life through the window of the resurrection?", asks Tripp, "What about the resurrection must I remember?" . . .  What's important for me to know about Easter and the resurrection as a Believer?

1. The resurrection of Jesus guarantees your resurrection too.  Life is not constantly repeating the cycle of the same old same old.  No, under God's rule this world is marching toward a conclusion.  Your life is being carried to a glorious end.  There will be a moment when God will raise you out of the broken world, and sin and suffering will be no more! (exclamation mine)

2.  The resurrection tells you what Jesus is now doing, Jesus now reigns.  I Corinthians 15 says that he will continue to reign until the final enemy is under his feet.  You see, your world is not out of control but under the careful control of One who is still doing his sin-defeating work.  Even though my life feels out of control most days, I can rest in the fact that God is overseeing it.  He is allowing and controlling all things.  My world feels chaotic, but I choose to trust the promise of God who reigns over this broken world as well as over the maladies of my life.  

3.  The resurrection promises you all the grace you need between Jesus's resurrection and yours.  If your end has already been guaranteed, then all the grace you need along the way has been guaranteed as well, or you would never make it to your appointed end.  Future grace always carries with it the promise of present grace.  Grace: the disposition to or an act or instance of kindness, courtesy, or clemency; unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification (Merriam Webster).  

4.  The resurrection of Jesus motivates you to do what is right, no matter what you are facing.  The resurrection tells you that God WILL WIN.  Sin WILL BE DEFEATED.  Righteousness WILL overcome evil.  This means that everything you do in God's name is worth it, no matter what the cost. Did you catch that, ya'll?  It is WORTH IT.  NO MATTER WHAT THE COST.    Believer, what you are facing, what you are struggling with . . . it is SO worth it! 

5.  The resurrection tells you that you always have a reason for thanks.  Quite apart from anything you have earned, you have been welcomed into the most exciting story ever and have been granted a future of JOY and PEACE FOREVER.  I will not only experience peace and love forever (believe me, I am longing for that just as you are); I will experience LIFE with Ellie Kate and Lucy FOREVER!  And it isn't because of anything I have done or haven't done (thank you, Lord!).  For this, I will live a life of thanksgiving - how could I not "go tell it on the mountain"? because of this great grace and redemption?! 
.................................................................................................................................................................

Truthfully, I would not have chosen this exact life, these exact circumstances and illnesses for myself or for my precious family (especially for my children).  But, with all of my heart, I choose to trust Jesus, My Lord.  How can that be possible?  Oh Friend, let me tell you!

Every human born on this earth has a sinful heart, a sinful nature - we are pre-disposed to it.  The payment of all sin is death.  Plain and simple - you sin, you must pay the penalty of death. BUT, we have a Savior.  The Father God sent His one and only Son, Jesus to live on this earth just as you and me.  He experienced every single emotion and every single temptation, and yet He did not sin.  He never messed up, broke a promise, cursed God, lied to his earthly parents.  Jesus is the blameless, spotless sacrifice for our sin.  He CHOSE to be the payment for my sin and for yours.  He chose to pay the payment for sin, in your place, because of His great, unimaginable love for you.

When Jesus died on the cross, He thought of you and He thought of me.  On that day, on that cross, Jesus had the sin of every man for all time, on His shoulders.  Jesus lay in His tomb for three days before his miraculous resurrection.  Jesus rose from the grave, up from death; and on that day, Jesus conquered death.  For those who believe in Him, there will only be an earthly death of our body.  There will be NO DEATH of our spirit - our spirit will live forever with Jesus, perfected and whole!  Did you catch that?  For the Believer, there is no death.

Do you wonder if there is something more in life?  Do you feel lost or alone, afraid of what the future holds?  Do you long for a secure eternity and a life that does not end?  Come to Jesus.  Invite Him in.  No magic words, no perfect words, no right words.  Just start a conversation between you and the God of the universe.  Choose to trust Him as God.  Choose to trust Jesus, who gave His life for you.  Choose to believe in that Jesus rose from the dead.  Choose and receive your true freedom.  There is no freedom apart from Christ.  

And Believer, once you have given your life to Jesus, do not forget the incredible cost of the cross.  Remember the truths that David Tripp laid out so clearly.  Take these things with you.  Rejoice over them at every moment and realize the freedom and future that you have in Jesus.  

He Is Risen!
Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

50k Try