Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Most Beautiful Gifts


"But whatever is good and perfect comes to us from God, the Creator of all light, and he shines forever without change or shadow". 
James 1:17, TLB


This month has been one full of gifts that have come directly from the Lord.  There's no explaining it, other than our Father has been at work and for some reason, He has been pouring out good things on our family.  Now, I'm not saying that the last month has been without struggle, sickness and heartache.  All of those things are a part of this fallen world, even for the Believer.  But, God is good and He pours out His goodness on His people for His purpose and for His glory.  

When I was a child, my Dad taught us about George Mueller - an amazing man of God.  One of Mr. Mueller's life purposes was to care for orphans in England.  As John Piper says of Mr. Mueller, "He had prayed in millions of dollars (in today's currency) for the Orphans and never asked anyone directly for money".  

George Mueller ultimately cared for 100k orphans and never once asked for funds.  Stories were told of the orphans being gathered at dinner time, yet there was no food to be served. George would pray with the children, asking God to provide a meal.  Then a knock would be heard from the door, and there on the porch would be enough food for the evening meal.  This is what I grew up learning with my family - to trust God with every single need because He is able.  

I'm here to tell you that God STILL gives excellent gifts to His children.  He not only provides for our needs, but also gives us things we would never think to ask for!  And the best part - those gifts aren't based on how good we are or on how much we do for Christ!  
Let me give you some examples . . . 

We have been praying for a storm shelter for our family.  We were half a mile from the May 20th tornado, and I desperately longed for a safe place for us to go.  A precious friend called me and said, "God wants you to have a storm shelter.  He wants you to be safe".  And through that beautiful friend and her family, this week we received this: 


It's a safe room!!  We can wheel Lucy in as she gets older and it's big enough to store her feeding pump, wheelchair and medical supplies!  A true gift from God!  

Sometimes God showers us with gifts that we don't even need.  They are just gifts that show us His love; to remind us that we aren't alone and that we are loved by others.  


Through the gift of a friend, we were able to get sweet pictures of Lucy.  Does this look like a catalog photo or what?!  Maybe I'm biased, but my dear friend Holly Hall with Legacy 49 Photography is the best photographer there is!  God gave me these sweet memories of Lu Lu, all because He is good.  And He did it through another friend who was willing to love me recklessly.  What a treasure!

Recently I received a knock on my front door, much like the orphans of George Mueller.  In fact, it was dinner time, although my friend Cheli wasn't bringing me food.  She was bringing me a priceless gift of art in honor of Ellie Kate.  This print was prayed over by the artist.  There is so much love poured into it.  And to make it even more special, Cheli has also suffered loss, although her loss was three-fold.  All three of her young sons were tragically killed, and now her ministry involves loving on people just like me.  Please take the time to check out Cheli's Story. A beautiful, priceless reminder of My Girl.




It is true, God gives good gifts.  They may be exactly what we've been praying for.  They may be unexpected things we didn't know we needed or wanted.  He gives perfect gifts to His children, and the best part is that those gifts aren't based on our accomplishments.  He hasn't showered our family with special things this month because we are so amazing or have been so good.  He simply gives because He loves His children.  What a beautiful thing.

Relishing in His Perfect Gifts,
Ryan

1 comment:

50k Try