Thursday, December 5, 2013

A Very Happy Birthday

I'm writing from the comforts of the eighth floor of OU Children's Hospital.  God was so good and allowed us to be admitted tonight for Lucy's surgery early tomorrow morning.  It's an easy surgery - just new ear tubes and adenoids taken out, but since Lucy's considered "high risk", we will stay at least a night after the procedures.  We covet your prayers.

As for yesterday . . . well, let me just tell you how special it was!  From beginning to end, it was a wonderful day.  I never thought it would be a good day, to be quite honest.  I didn't know what my attitude would be like, nor what my emotions or my body would be doing.  God was truly gracious.  His Spirit was with us, without a doubt.

I was grateful to have Mike at home with me yesterday, and after we got the kids to school, he and I set out to Ellie's spot.  On our way we stopped for some birthday balloons.  Many tears were shed in the store as I stood in line with those balloons.  The sweet woman behind me said, "Oh!  Some little girl is getting some special balloons to make her happy today!".  It broke my heart, although her words were precious to me (she later asked me if I was okay, but I was unable to get any words out).

The wind was blowing hard at Ellie's Spot, and it was quite cold.  We tied the balloons tightly to the vase on her headstone.  Michael held me and we prayed, thanking the Lord for the honor of being Ellie's parents.  Immediately I was taken back to that first night in the hospital with Ellie Kate, when we gave her to the Lord as Abraham gave up Isaac.



From there we ended up at OU Children's, surrounded by several of my girlfriends who sacrificed their day to spend with us.  We excitedly set up for the party.  It looked beautiful, and everyone was so welcoming, including Cara and her Child Life Team (how blessed OU is to have this group!).  Delia, Nina, Meghan, Julie, Laura, Mary, Mom, Dad, Conner, Henry, Mindy, Chelsi, Amy, Meagan, Rachelle - you all amazed me with the reckless love you showed our family and the children in the hospital!











The turnout was great, even though it's flu/RSV/pneumonia season and many children are confined to their rooms.  Child Life said it was the best turnout they've add for an event this time of year!  We felt so blessed to be able to really and truly talk to the mommas, dads and kids that came through those doors.  And ya'll, you would not believe the God connections that were made!  My friends whose children have the same diagnoses as children who attended; my friend Julie (who is fluent in Spanish) speaking for hours to a few families who had no other way of communicating.  It was all just so beautiful.











One of the best parts of the day was getting to go door-to-door with Mike, Conner and Cara from Child Life.  Families were able to choose both a toy AND a book (some took a few), thanks to YOUR generosity!  Some of them couldn't understand why we would choose to be here doing this.  It was so precious and we definitely were in our element.  Conner did such a good job talking with the patients and helping them pick their gifts.  I was so very proud of him.  And thankfully Nunnie and Poppie took Henry home, Mindy took home Lucy and Mary picked up Jack from the emergency vet (long story).  I teared up a few times, as did Mike.  We especially cried as we walked through the waiting room on the 10th floor where we held Ellie's little party last year on that very night.  We came home exhausted, happy, grateful; our hearts are STILL full.

You played a huge part in us feeling so blessed last night.  You have made us feel loved.  Your actions loved others in deep ways and touched the hearts of many hurting people.  Cancer patients who are stuck up here for weeks on end, children whose hearts are broken over new diagnoses, families who are here and are hours from home.  YOU have made an incredible impact by your reckless love in honor of our Ellie Kate.  I know she would be so blessed to know all the people that are being helped through you!  By the way, we had so many donations that your gifts were not only used on the floors of the hospital and at the party - they have been used at Jim Thorpe Pediatric Rehab (where Ellie and Lucy have spent countless hours), as well as the Wonderfully Made room, Ellie Kate's former classroom, and even the Fostering Hope Clinic at OU Children's Hospital.  That's what 800 books will do!  And every item is marked with a sticker telling them about Ellie Kate, and letting them know that they are loved and not forgotten.

And a happy story to leave you with . . . tonight I went down for a coke in the cafeteria and ended up behind one of the boys who attended the party yesterday.  He was standing in line with his momma and he was holding the ball that he picked out last night.  It brought tears to my eyes, seeing him carrying that ball around.  I talked to him, and his momma told me that he even slept with that ball last night.  See how special you made this young man feel?  And many more like him!  All because of your reckless love.  Keep it up, Friends.  The Month of Reckless Love has just begun!

He is Faithful,
Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

50k Try